Why does my wifi keep disconnecting? If you are searching google for this, chances are your frustrated after being randomly disconnected while using the internet. Read on to know how to fix your randomly disconnecting dell laptop. We have compiled a couple of steps which you can do to solve this problem.
For some low end network adapters you may experience problems with wireless internet connection constantly disconnecting while you are online. I had a Realtek RTL8723AE Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E Network Adapter on a Dell inspiron laptop which was giving me headaches.
Just when i was in the middle of something very important it just disconnects
I have also seen the same problem on other Dell inspiron and XPS laptops. Sometimes the adapter even disappears from device managers as if it doesn’t exist. To solve this do the following:
Windows Power Saving
To reduce power consumption windows will sometimes turn off some devices which are not being used at the moment. It will also turn off the wifi card and this will leave you disconnected. To prevent this from happening follow these steps
- Go to Window Control pane. You can search for control panel or alternatively typing “control panel” after pressing windows key+R.
- Then go to Power settings.
- Click Change Plan Settings.
- Change advanced power settings.
- Wireless Adapter Settings.
- Click the + sign to reveal more settings.
- Power saving mode.
- Select Maximum performance for: On battery and on plugged in.
- Click apply
- Then Ok
Network adapter settings
- Open device manager (My Computer> right click> Properties> then deveice manager on the top left side, alternatively press windows key and search for “Device Manager”
- (If you are prompted to continue by the User Account Control, click Continue).
On Device Manager click the plus + sign next to Network Adapters.
- Double click the Dell Wireless WLAN Card. It should look something like the selected one in the pictures below.
- Click Power management tab
- Remove tick where it says “Allow the computer to turn off device”
- Click on the Advanced tab.
- In the Property box, click to highlight AP Compatibility Mode, select Broader
- Compatibility under Value: from the drop-down menu.
- In the Property box, click to highlight Minimum Power Consumption, select Disabled under Value: from the drop-down menu.
- click. OK.
This will prevent the operating system from being able to dis able yo
Other device manager settings you can change
On the Advanced tab and make try following changes if your cards support it.Some settings are not available depending on your network card
- Disable 802.11b Preamble to Long
- Set Receive Buffers to 300
- Set Transmit Buffers to 500
Disconnecting and Reconnecting all devices
- Turn off all connected computers
- Disconnect all the devices connected to your router
- Turn your router off
- Turn the router and wait 2 minutes for it to initialize
- Attempt to reconnect again
Make sure you have the latest drivers. To download the latest drivers. Go to Dell.com enter your service tag number. Under network you will find the latest drivers for your laptop. Uninstall the old drivers and install the new ones.
You can read here on properly installing Dell drivers.
Fix disconnect problem using MS Fixit and Network troubleshoot
Some of tour audience have reported that after running MS Fixit their Dell laptops were no longer disconnecting. We haven’t been able to discover the real relation between the laptop disconnecting and how the tool fixes it
MS fixit is a microsoft tool that fixes various problems like registry corruption and so on.
Also use the troubleshoot wizard to see if windows diagnoses can give you any helpful error information
- Right click on the network icon
- Click on troubleshoot problems
- Followe instructions from the wizard